Friday, February 3, 2012

Sparkly Retail Death- Reformatted and Re-released!







So, a few weeks ago I put my short story "Sparky Retail Death" on a free promotion on Amazon as part of my KDP Select agreement that I signed with Amazon. I was happily watching the sales go up and watched my story climb the free charts (making it to number 32 on the short story list) before I got some startling news. Someone had reviewed my story! (This was not the startling part). He'd given me five stars and I was giddy as I began to read...then my heart plummeted. Part of the review said, "There were some typos, but I easily looked the other way as this story was good from start to finish." Typos!? Typos? Where? What? How? I am not one of those people who uploads a story without a second thought. No, I edit my stories, re-edit them and then I send them on to an EDITOR who continues to edit my story.


I understand a few things get lost in the mix. Heck, I have read some of my favorite authors' books and noticed a typo here and there, but how were there enough typos in my story to have it mentioned in a review? I quickly bought a copy of my story and opened it and my heart went straight into the pit of my stomach. The formatting was a disaster! Somewhere between my finished copy and the uploaded finished copy on Amazon there had been a horrible mistake. All the apostrophes had turned into quotes. My story looked like a piece straight out of the nightmares of editing in college. Back in those classes you would always get a piece that made you wonder, "why did this person become a writing major?" Anyone who has had to edit one of these stories knows what I am talking about.


Well, me being me, I started to panic. It didn't matter that this reviewer had ended his review with "Jill B. Zimmerman, please keep writing!" All I saw were the typos (formatting errors). Over 200 copies of my story had already been purchased and the number was rising. I quickly took it off of the free promotion and began trying to find a way to fix my formatting. After about 2 hours of frustration, I gave up and e-mailed Amazon. They were great! It took a while but they told me how to fix the problem and now my story is back up and, as far as I can tell, error free. 


So, long story short, I may not have gotten a new story up yet (soon, I promise) but my other stories are available for purchase once again. Tomorrow I will begin a two day free promotion for "Sparkly Retail Death" and anyone who already purchased the error-filled copy can hopefully re-download it. If not, leave me a comment on here and I will find a way to rectify the situation.


Thank you for your patience and happy reading!
~Jill B Zimmerman~

3 comments:

  1. i still love this cover... though i am a bit biased XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get compliments on the cover a lot :) So you should be proud! I love it!

      Delete
  2. Hello!

    I am the Books editor at Before It's News (beforeitsnews.com). Our site is a rapidly growing people-powered news platform currently serving over 3 million visits a month. We like to call ourselves the "YouTube of news."

    I would like to personally invite you to publish your stories, poems, and reviews on our site. Our visitors would love to read your content, and get to know you as an author, blogger, and reviewer. It's a great opportunity to spread the word about your work and reach new readers. Posting on Before It's News is 100% free, and it takes about two seconds to register. Just click on the big orange "Upload News" button on our homepage. Be sure to select the "Books" category for your post.

    We will be featuring and promoting content on our homepage, on Twitter, Facebook, in our newsletter and more. Don't miss this opportunity to get fantastic exposure.

    We don't censor or edit work.

    Once you've posted your first post on Before It's News, please drop me an email at Sclouth@beforeitsnews.com and let me know so that we can expedite the review process for you, and so I can personally check out what you've shared.

    I hope you'll choose to join the conversation at Before It's News. I know our visitors will be very interested to sample your work and learn more about you. I hope to hear from you soon.

    Best regards,
    Sebastian Clouth
    SClouth@beforeitsnews.com

    ReplyDelete