Monday, December 26, 2011

Books as Art

I've always considered literature to be works of art. Now, artists are taking this idea to a whole new level. Artist Guy Laramee carves books into sculptures and make amazing 3D landscapes. Here are some pictures of his work from his duo series The Great Wall and Biblios:




Now, the art lover in me is seeing these pieces and marveling at how beautiful they are and wondering how Laramee created them. However, the book lover and author in me is going, "What did you do to those books!?" This especially happened when I saw the sculpture that said "rare books" in the description, meaning rare books were used. Take a look:


These are really cool but I don't think I could tear apart a book. The nerd is me is screaming right now. What do you think? 

1 comment:

  1. Part of me thinks "Oooh, that's cool." The other part of me is like "Nooooo! No! Why would you do that?"

    ReplyDelete