Friday, December 30, 2011

Goals NOT Resolutions



I've never done New Year's Resolutions. I don't like them because I know if I make them I will just break them. New Year's Resolutions to me are like assigned reading lists: no matter how much I want to read the book on the list, it's required now so I really don't want to read it. The same thing goes for "resolutions," once they are put on paper I don't want to do them. Even if I wanted to lose twenty pounds or exercise more or whatever, it's now on a list and that takes away some of the appeal. I've always decided to make goals for myself instead but still I don't always follow through. Well, my friend Kortnee has inspired me to write down my goals because of her latest blog. So, call me a copycat (and then I'll call you five years old) but here's my list of goals. I figure if I write them down (or type them up) then I can be held responsible for them. 


Here we go:


1.) I am going to finish editing and adding to my novel from NaNoWriMo (ReWitched). 


2.) I am going to submit my novel to at least 4 publishers.


3.) I am going to finish one short story a month and put it up for sale on Kindle. At the end of the year, I am going to compile the stories into an anthology and add a new story and put it up for sale. (This one may look ripped from Kortnee's list but we made the goal together so it works.)


4.) I am going to start seeing the chiropractor at least once a month. You see, I have been putting off my visits, saying that we could use the money for something else. It's true, the bills add up but so does my pain. So, I am going to start making sure I go frequently to keep my back in shape. 


5.) Bill and I already decided to start eating better. I am going to add to this and say I am going to cut down my portion sizes. I have a bridesmaids dress to fit in for November. More importantly, my back needs less weight to make it feel better. My goal is 30 pounds or 2 dress sizes (not sure which will come first).


6.) I am going to finish my novel Everything You Want, a novel I have been working on for YEARS and have in my head and need to transcribe to paper. 


7.) I am going to do my back stretches before bed at least four times a week. I am thinking Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday so that I have a break in between. 


8.) I am going to read at least one book for pleasure a month. This is huge when you have a large pile of assigned reading...have I mentioned I hate assigned reading?


Alright, I think that's enough goals for one post. I wouldn't want to overwhelm myself. Thank you Kortnee for giving me the added kick I needed to put these down. I am thinking I will do blogs to follow my progress on my weight loss. I will also keep everyone updated on my writing. Until then, I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year! In 2011, I made great strides to being the person I want to be. I moved, I enrolled in graduate school and I did something very important to my health: I let go of a lot of resentment that I was holding in for a few people. I stopped letting them have control over me. So that was 2011, I hope 2012 leads to even more growth. Here's to 2012 being a great year!


Oh and I am going to the beach more...
That's not a goal, it's a reality. :)




I love quotes so here are some quotes to push you toward whatever goals you want to accomplish this next year. Feel free to share your goals in the comment box (I always love to hear other people's goals).


"You can decide right now that negative experiences from your past will not predict your future."
-Terri Cole-

"When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
-John M. Richardson, Jr.-

"Losers live in the past. Winners learn from the past and enjoy working in the present toward the future."
-Denis Waitley-

"The important thing is this: to be ready at any moment to sacrifice what you are for what you could become."
-Charles Dickens-

"It takes a deep commitment to change and an even deeper commitment to grow."
-Ralph Ellison-

"No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change."
-Barbara de Angelis-



(Thanks to these sites for the pictures:

1 comment: