Saturday, October 22, 2011

National Writing Day- Reflection



So, two days ago was National Writing Day. I wanted to write this yesterday but time got away from me. On that day, I finished a short story that was over 5000 words, started looking at older stories and started reading a friend's story to edit it. Not bad. I had a great day and National Writing Day made me realize a few things.


1. I get a lot more done when I set aside time, have a goal and focus on that goal (even with the cell phone buzzing non-stop and a puppy trying to lay on my laptop).


2. I need to set aside time daily in order to be productive (something I have been trying to do but haven't done every single day so far). 


3. I like my writing a lot more than I used to. I used to finish a story and think, well that's pretty good. I've noticed that as I've grown so has my writing. Duh, right? Well it's been a while since I put aside a piece and said, "wow, I'm actually proud of that." I did this the other day and it felt great!


(now if only my puppy was as helpful as Roo!)

Honestly, I wish every day was National Writing Day, if only so I would be more productive. I realized I used to write this much all the time when I was doing for my undergraduate degree in English Writing. I need to get back into that mind-set of needing to write and treating it as a job. This is now my goal: to write daily and to treat writing as a job, since it is my job. 

I hope everyone else had a great day of writing. If you are a writer and you didn't write on October 20th, you should try setting aside a day to write. It's fun and productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment