Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Back-Up Plan P.P.M.R (Positively Positive Movie Review)


I mentioned I was lucky in my last review...to be honest I won't be so lucky with this movie. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked and enjoyed it, it just took me watching it twice for me for this to happen. With that said and done, let's get positive!

In The Back-up Plan, the acting was actually very good. Most people don't associate Jennifer Lopez with great acting but I tend to enjoy her and this movie is no exception. She portrays Zoe, a woman who is sick of never finding "the one" so she has herself artificially inseminated, only to find "the one" that same day. Also great is Hawaii 5-0 star Alex O'Loughlin, who plays Stan, who falls for pregnant Zoe before either of them realize she is pregnant. Once Zoe finds out she is pregnant and tells Stan, the question becomes "Will he stay?" There is also a great supporting cast of comedic splendor, including Anthony Anderson, who plays a father who helps Stan through his fears, and Melissa McCarthy, who plays the crazy midwife/support group leader for single mothers.


This movie is great at evoking emotions. It made me laugh and get all teary eyed but most of all it provoked anger and made me want to kick any man nearest me in the face...luckily the man nearest me was my father and I would never do that to him.I say I had to watch this movie twice, this is why. I'm staying positive by saying Alex O'Loughlin played an excellent jerk-off who constantly leaves or makes Zoe feel abandoned emotionally!

I have stated that I always have problems with plot structure. Well, if you want a movie with a few thrown in plot devices to push the movie along and make it more emotional, you got a great one! I am not saying the whole plot is this way but one plot point, Zoe's fear of commitment, is thrown in way too late to count and therefore Stan looks like the bad guy throughout most of the movie. This said, watching it a second time with this in mind will create much more enjoyment.I still wanted to beat the crap out of Stan every so often but not nearly as much as in my first viewing. Don't worry, he gets much sweeter at the end and we all know that one great gesture from a man can make up for a whole movie of emotional detachment and running scared. ;)

I would call this movie annoyingly wonderful yet charming.

Movie Rating- 3 Spoonfuls (Your sweet-tooth should be aching)

2 comments:

  1. That's kinda odd. I seemed to enjoy this movie more than you did! ODD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is odd for us. I just had a problem with how he acted throughout the thing and with them throwing in that one thing too late for it to work with the plot lol...you know me, writer picking things apart ;)

    ReplyDelete