Sunday, December 19, 2010

Black Swan P.P.M.R (Positively Positive Movie Review)


Since this movie is meant to leave you in suspense, I won't say much about the plot of Black Swan. However, I will say that it will keep you guessing, have you on the edge of your seat and scare the crap out of you at times. This movie intriguing, disturbing while having a deeper meaning a the same time. It's amazing!

The film follows Nina, a shy and introverted ballerina, as she attempts to channel her inner darkness and strength in order to play both the White Swan and the Black Swan in her company's production of Swan Lake.  The film focuses a lot on the effects of the world of ballet on its dancers and on the competition between the dancers, especially between veterans and up and coming ballerinas.

Natalie Portman is extraordinary as Nina! She puts a lot of heart into the role and makes Nina a multi-dimensional character in many ways (once again, no spoilers). Simply put, she deserves her Golden Globe nomination. She managed to entrance me and terrify me at the same time.

Also great are Mila Kunis and Barbara Hershey. Kunis plays Nina's competition and brings out a dark yet exciting side I have  never seen in her acting before. Hershey plays Nina's mother and she terrified me at times. She played her part with such dedication I may never be able to look at her the same in a movie again.

Also amazing is Winona Ryder, who plays veteran Beth Macintyre and who is replaced by Nina. Though Ryder only spends about 15 minutes total on screen, her impact is enormous! She helps show the impact of the dancing world on ballerinas and also represents what all dancers could eventually become. All in all, the acting is tremendous!

Also terrific are the camera angles and special effects! There are amazing tricks and effects to thrill and test you. There were many scenes that had me on the edge of my seat and had me scared of what would come next. This movie is definitely a thriller but has a touch of horror to it as well and the camera angles do a great job of keeping you on your toes.

This movie is also great at dropping hints of what to expect later in the movie while not being completely predictable. The hints allow for the plot to make sense without hitting the audience over the head with the obvious. The plot also kicks into full-gear almost immediately as the audience begins to see the effects on Nina and the other dancers almost instantaneously.

I would recommend this movie to anyone except ex-dancers who know the lengths it goes to in order to succeed in the business...hint hint to my friend Laura, this movie will be too much for you! However, for the rest of you, go see this movie. I know men are a little wary of seeing it because it's about dancers but trust me guys, it is SO much more than a dancing movie. I even had my boyfriend surprised...So now it's Bill's turn to say "You were right," to me! My only advice? Bring someone to hold on to when scared. :)

Movie Rating- No Spoonfuls- No sugar needed to sweeten this review.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! I won't go see it, lol! Just watching the previews I knew I wouldn't be able to, lol. Sounds like a good one though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right!! There I said it lol. Love you babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he i don't watch movies butr you have penned it good... and spoon thing loved it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visually this film is interesting to watch. I loved the experience. The entire cast performed well and I am tempted to see this movie again.
    Black Swan Movie

    ReplyDelete