Saturday, November 12, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 12

Another day has come to an end and I have to confess, I didn't think I would write a single word. After work I felt really sick and figured I wouldn't write today. I laid down and fell into a deep coma-like sleep for about 3 hours before I got up and decided I had to conquer my novel. Still, I didn't know where to start. I had reached a slump. My friend Kortnee told me to try Write or Die a few days ago and I decided today would be a great day to try it out. If you are unfamiliar with this site, it is a wonderful tool! Basically you set a time limit, a word goal and a level of leniency and then are presented with a box to write in. If you don't keep up a normal pace the page begins to turn red, which actually makes you panic. I was wondering how this would work but the simple changing to red made me feel like I had to write or I was an epic failure. However, I wondered how effective this tool was for others until I realized I had my sound off. After turning it on, I realized if you don't write the most annoying sounds go off until you write again. This is an effective tool! Just to see how it works, I set my goal to 500 words and my time limit to 30 minutes. I completed these words with a lot of time to spare so the next time I put in 700 words (the amount I was short on for my daily word count). I finished with 10 minutes to spare and 862 words written. I will definitely be going back to this site!


Alright, here are the numbers for the day:


Words Written: 2,095
Total Words Written: 31,285


Not too shabby for a person who thought they would accomplish nothing today. I also passed the 30,000 mark which made me very happy. According to the site I now need to complete 995 words a day to make it to 50,000 by the end of the month (it used to be 1,667). If I keep at the pace I am going at (an average of 2,607 words a day) I will be done by November 19th. Since my novel will go past 50,000 words this makes me feel like I have a nice cushion. I am loving what is happening with my characters, especially as I go deeper into the fantastical elements. I am also pumping up the love triangle that I threw in and I'm liking the direction it is taking me. However, I think I am channeling my anger toward mean customers into the novel because I killed three characters randomly tonight....this novel is racking up quite the death toll but it's working! That's it for tonight. Since I had a long nap I will write more before bed but Day 12 is officially over. Happy writing to my fellow writers and have a great night! 
Arthur, what a great show AND a great book series!
Who didn't love Buster and Arthur?

No comments:

Post a Comment